The church of Santa Maria Assunta of Cesi
The church of Santa Maria Assunta, in the historic centre of Cesi, rises above a terrace leaning against sixteenth-century polygonal walls. It takes its name from the lay brotherhood of the same name to which it was entrusted after its construction in the first half of the 1500s. The church became a town parish church in the eighteenth century, a period to which the reconstruction of the building dates back, further remodeled with several renovations during the last century. The facade has an access portal and a walled-up one above which is a lunette bearing the remains of a fresco. Inside there are remarkable artworks, such as a walnut choir from the 13th century, a wooden statue of the Madonna and Child, the "Madonna and Child" fresco by Papacello da Cortona (16th century); the painting was placed on canvas in 1907 and is exhibited in the left chapel. The beautiful altarpiece "The Assumption of the Madonna" is a painting from the late sixteenth century. The chapel on the right contains the fine dossal “Madonna Child Enthroned with Saints” dated 1308 by the “Maestro di Cesi”, an artist named after this work. The inscription at the bottom of the painting bears the name of the noble client, "dominates Elena", who is seen portrayed at the foot of the Madonna. The dossal comes from church of Santa Maria di Fora, then it was transferred to that of Sant’Angelo and later in the town hall; finally placed in the church of Santa Maria Assunta.