The village of Collestatte
No longer a Municipality since it was integrated into the Municipality of Terni in 1927, the village of COLLESTATTE has a long history to tell, partly revealed by its beautiful and important historical-artistic vestiges. From a hill in the Terni valley of the river Nera, dotted with hilltop villages, Collestatte looks towards the majestic Cascata delle Marmore and Torre Orsina, with which it constituted a single feud until 1627. If today its position is appreciated for the beautiful panorama it offers, in the Middle Ages that was a pivotal factor for the birth of the first nucleus of what would later become a stronghold. Similarly to the other centers located in this part of Umbria,the built-up area of Collestatte developed during the Middle Ages around a watchtower, built to keep the area's roads under control. Today that same tower is the bell tower of the Church of San Pietro. Collestatte remained dependent for a long time on Spoleto even when towards the end of the 13th century it became a feud of the Orsini family. The other noble family that exercised feudal rights over Collestatte was that of the Manassei, to whom we owe part of the reorganization of the town planning of the village which took place between the 18th and 19th centuries. During this period, the Church of San Pietro was remodeled (the building was joined to the medieval tower) and the square on which this place of worhship stands changed appearance as a result of the construction of Palazzo Manassei and the twin buidings(Palazzetti) bearing the name of the same family were built. The Church of San Pietro preserves outstanding works of art, including an altarpiece from the 1500s, attributed by some art critics to Lattanzio di Niccolò di Liberatore (son of the painter Niccolò di Liberatore, called l'Alunno) and a baptismal font which also dates from the same century with the Orsini coat of arms. The town has however maintained its original medieval layout made up of the walls,the underpasses,the suggestive alleys and the stone houses leaning against arches. Other monuments of interest are: the Church of the Holy Trinity (17th century) and Palazzo Magalotti (17th century). Outside the historic centre is the church of Santa Maria Meiana dating back to the 11th century.
Revised Google translation