The Museum of Guido Calori Artworks
Since the end of the eighties of the last century, the former convent of Clarisse in San Gemini has housed the Museo dell'Opera of Guido Calori (1885-1960), one of the most significant sculptors in the Italian art scene of the first half of the twentieth century. The exhibition of his works, mainly bronze sculptures but also paintings and sketches, produced between the ten and fifties, is set up in six halls on the ground floor of the monastic complex, completely restored and declared together with the art collection "of exceptional value historical-artistic" by the Superintendence of Artistic Heritage. The creation of an exhibition venue dedicated to Calori's work, which took place thanks to the interest and intervention of the artist's family, has made it possible to bring together almost all of his artistic repertoire from his studio in Roma, as well as the archive (including photos, private letters, exhibition catalogs and drawings) and the work tools found in some warehouses in Florence, the city where he taught for many years at the Academy of Fine Arts. Guido Calori was not only a sculptor but also a decorator, architect and art writer, also consecrating a long period of his life to teaching in various Italian Academies. In his career, in which the artist's freedom of expression has always been a steadfast principle, he has achieved appreciation: the Academy of San Luca in Rome awarded him two prizes for sculpture and two in the field of art literature and at the Venice Biennale in 1930 he was awarded for his "Italica Gens", a bronze artwork on display at the Museum.