SAN LIBERATORE, a tiny village resting on a hill in the Valnerina Ternana, is identified with its monumental Church, whose mighty bell tower already stands out from a distance. Known as the church of San Liberatore because it houses the body of the homonymous Saint, this place of worship, whose title is actually "Santa Croce", was built at the beginning of the sixteenth century. A Benedictine convent, initially and then Franciscan, was also dedicated to San Liberatore, martyr and protector of this locality-which was located near the current residential nucleus, and the church in fact depended for a long period, from 1593 to 1652, on the Conventual Friars Minor. The exterior of the building is characterized not only by the mighty bell tower,which probably also served as a watchtower, for the representation of the Cross on the facade. The large interior, greatly transformed over time, is divided into two naves. In addition to a Roman fragment inserted on the left wall, a beautiful holy water stoup and a canvas with "St. Francis receiving the stigmata",it has fine 16th-17th century frescoes, some of which attributed to painters of the Spanish school. The two niches on the left wall are particularly beautiful. The first depicts "scenes from the Nativity" and "scenes from the life of Jesus". Among the depictions of the second niche there are a "Madonna Enthroned with the Child, St. John the Baptist, Santa Monica, San Pietro and San Rocco". An image of the Madonna enthroned is also depicted on the altar.
From San Liberatore, following a path,you arrive at “Parco della Batteria”. This area, now considered of landscape interest, was of strategic importance during the Second World War because an anti-aircraft battery was installed there which was to be used to defend the surrounding factories.
Revised Google translation