Church of San Francesco
The construction of the Church was undertaken in 1265. The original building had a nave with transept, a cross-vaulted Gothic rib vault and a polygonal apse. The Church gradually expanded to become a three-nave bulding enriched with a larger Renaissance style apse and monumental side chapels. One of these chapels was erected to house a precious silver tabernacle containing a relic of the Holy Cross. The painting decorations of the Cappella Paradisi are of particular interest.
They consist of a beautiful series of frescoes commissioned by Monaldo Paradisi to the painter Bartolomeo di Tommaso from Foligno on the theme of the Last Judgment. The great Altarpiecework, now housed in the Pinacoteca Comunale, was commissioned to Piermatteo d’Amelia. Luigi Lanzi had the Church declared a national monument and, when major renovations were undertaken, much of the Baroque decoration inside the Church was removed. The bell tower with mullioned and four-light windows and enriched with a polychrome ceramics stringcourse is of particular interest.