The village of Vasciano
For those looking for small historic villages,framed in unspoiled nature and off the beaten track, Vasciano can be a pleasant destination. A few kilometers from Stroncone of which it is a hamlet, the town of Vasciano is set at over 400 meters above sea level in the valley of the Aja stream, in a predominantly hilly area dotted with olive groves and vineyards. Around, at higher altitudes, there are woods with a rich arboreal vegetation.
The medieval village is dominated by the mighty remains of the Castle, which can be reached through a small road. In 1225 the Castle of Vasciano enjoyed the protection of St. Peter in Rome, so that it was relieved of the payment of some duties in Narni - affected by interdict - to which it was subject. But in 1227, as established by a bull of Gregory IX, Vasciano on the occasion of the celebrations of San Giovenale owed Narni a candle worth two books. Subsequently the Castle of Vasciano underwent the dominion of Stroncone.
In the main square of the village there is a plaque in memory of the composer Asprilio Pacelli, who was born in Vasciano in 1570 and who gained notoriety after he became choirmaster at the Polish court. The village church is dedicated to San Biagio. The building, despite having been modified several times, preserves elements belonging to the early construction of the twelfth century. The simple gabled façade has a beautiful portal surmounted by a lunette decorated with a recently built polychrome bas-relief depicting San Biagio, Madonna with Child and San Francesco. The interior, with a single nave, has several paintings, some of which are fragments of frescoes of the original decoration.
Revised Google translation